Spoiler Alert accepts surplus, healthy food that is fresh, frozen, or prepared. The realtime nature of our platform is particularly useful for quickly finding outlets for highly perishable products such as fruits, vegetables, dairy products, and meats. These products are often the most nutritious, yet the most likely to be wasted. food is classified on our platform with the following categories:
- Simply Surplus: High quality, edible food with no "fine print". Surplus can often be caused by overproduction, unpredictable demand, or mis-ordering.
- Ugly but Lovely: Food that is 100% edible for human consumption, but may have a cosmetic issue. This may include food products that are blemished; are an odd shape, size or color; or have damaged or mis-labeled packaging.
- Short Shelf Life: Food products that are close to expiration, such as "best by" or "use by" date. This may include time-sensitive products, such as dairy, meat, and produce.
- Prepared: Unserved food prepared for immediate human consumption by a restaurant, food service, or caterer. This includes food that is prepared on a "take out" or "to go" basis that does not need significant additional preparation or cooking. Storage and handling must meet local and/or ServSafe guidelines.
- Waste: Food waste that is not fit for human consumption, but can be used for compost, animal feed, or other industrial applications.